erinbowman

On Writing
Stephen King
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
The Beautiful and the Cursed (The Dispossessed) - Page Morgan I’ve never been a big paranormal romance reader, but the premise of Page Morgan’s THE BEAUTIFUL AND THE CURSED sounded too good to pass up: gargoyles in 1899 Paris act as guardian angel figures, protecting the humans who live within their dwellings. Um, yes please! After an embarrassing and bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly moves to Paris with her mother and younger sister, Gabby. Waiting for them should be her brother, Grayson, only he’s gone missing. Searching for clues regarding his whereabouts, Ingrid and Gabby learn that girls have been vanishing all throughout Paris, and that Luc, a servant working at their new estate may be the only one with answers…

I absolutely devoured this one. The historic setting seeped from the pages, the writing was lovely, and the mystery behind Paris’s disappearing girls–and how the Waverlys fit into it–kept me anxiously reading. Above all, I loved how Morgan wove her gargoyle mythology into existing angel-demon folklore. It felt both familiar and unique at once. This is the first in a trilogy, and while TBATC ends without major cliffhangers, I am dying to get my hands on the sequel. The forthcoming e-novella might have to tie me over until next May.

Originally posted here.