erinbowman

On Writing
Stephen King
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
Scarlet - Marissa Meyer I enjoyed SCARLET so much more than CINDER. And that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy CINDER, but I while I liked Cinder and Kai, I loved Scarlet and Wolf, so I think this just comes down to character/reader preferences. And plot. This one feels more like an epic quest/search, and I’ve always had a soft spot for these types of adventures.

SCARLET picks up right where CINDER left off. While Kai deals with the Lunar Queen, Cinder escapes prison, taking with her the pompous (yet still loveable) Captain Thorne (who I’m pretty sure will end up a love interest for one of the future heroines). The bulk of the story focuses on Scarlet though, who is searching for her missing grandmother. Enter Wolf, a mysterious fighter whose help she enlists even though she doesn’t fully trust him. I loved Wolf–his dark, mysterious past; his brooding nature; his inner demons/battles. Above all, I love how Meyer twists traditional fairytales to fit into this futuristic, tech-rich world. The threads of the original stories are easily recognizable, but her stories also stand on their own. Very much looking forward to CREST.

Originally posted here.