erinbowman

On Writing
Stephen King
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E. Lockhart I’d heard numerous people rave about this novel, and I finally picked it up this month. Why did I wait so long?! This novel is hilarious, moving, strange, and brilliant, all wrapped into one. Frankie is a fantastic main character. She’s spunky, determined, and a bit of a feminist. When she discovers her boyfriend is in an all-male secret society that revels in pranks and partying–an Order that’s been a part of her boarding school’s history since the 1950′s–she’s unwilling to be left out. What ensues is a series of laugh-out-loud shenanigans (as Frankie becomes the mastermind behind pranks of her own), all of which unfold amidst thought-provoking themes (friendship, identity, feminism, privilege, and then some). The third person narrative is pitch-perfect, the dialog is fantastic, and the secondary (and even tertiary) characters are incredibly realized.

This is a truly remarkable book. I really can’t do it justice. If you haven’t read it yet, you must pick it up.

Originally reviewed here.