erinbowman

On Writing
Stephen King
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver Sam is a “mean girl” (I’m talking The Plastics mean, with Regina George as her best friend) who is able to relive the last day of her life seven times over after dying in a car accident.

I want to know if Oliver grew up in rural Connecticut. I did, and not only is this book set in a town that sounds uncomfortably like the one I spent the first 18 years of my life in, but reading this book was literally like walking the halls of my high school all over again. The good, the bad, and the ugly. All of it. It is written flawlessly and honestly. Sam’s arc as a character is incredible. I felt no sympathy for her at the end of day one, and at the close of day seven, I was crying. (While on a plane, no less. It wasn’t pretty.) And it’s not just Sam that is powerful in this way; every single character has their own layered, complex story. They are shades of gray – no one is completely good or completely evil – and I found this both refreshing and realistic. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. If you haven’t read it yet, no excuses. Get out there and buy, rent, or borrow a copy of this brilliant gem. Right now.

Originally reviewed here