erinbowman

On Writing
Stephen King
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
The Future of Us - Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler THE FUTURE OF US had a premise so kickass that I knew I needed to read it; through a weird glitch in a 1996 AOL CD, Josh and Emma stumble across their facebook pages, 15 years in the future. Emma, unhappy with what she finds, starts messing with the present to change the future.

I sort of felt like this novel was written just for me. Or rather, anyone who grew up in the 90s. There were so many references that made nostalgic for my own high school days — Dave Matthews and Oasis lyrics, scrunchies, dial-up tones, a lack of cell phones, desktop screensavers of plumping pipes. I loved this aspect of the book, but I wonder if I’m biased.

The inclusion of facebook was hilarious. Emma and Josh are completely confused by the concept of social networking and status updates — they don’t even know the terms — and at one point I remember one of them simply asking WHY? Why do people use this? What is the point? And the timetravel-like element (Emma changing her future) was well executed. However, I found Emma to be pretty unlikeable. She comes around by the end, but for awhile she’s very, very selfish in her actions and I had a hard time sympathizing with her. Josh on the other hand, I adored. I'm not sure Emma deserves him.

Originally reviewed here.