erinbowman

On Writing
Stephen King
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
Partials - Dan Wells I was so fortunate to score an ARC of this one! It was a beast (472 pages, not 300-something like goodreads says), and the premise is simply delicious – It’s 2076 and the world has been decimated by RM, a virus released by the Partials (basically, genetically engineered super-soldiers) after they turned on their creators (humans). Millions died, and since the virus’ release, no baby survives more than a few hours after it’s birth. Kira is a medic living in a barricaded area of Long Island, safe from the Partials, were she works alongside others to try to find a cure for RM.

The world-building in this novel is spectacular. Everything is thought out and meticulously detailed, from salvage missions to find still-operable generators to power portions of the city, to the workings of computer software programs that help Kira examine blood samples and test out RM theories. Some very interesting topics are also broached throughout the course of the novel — How many freedoms are we willing to give up in order to maintain “safety” from our enemies? How many rights will we surrender to keep hope alive?

This is a post-apocalyptic, sci-fi thriller with no shortage of twists and turns. While the race to the end is quite a ride, I must admit I sometimes felt a little distanced from the characters. This could be to do the third-persona narrative, or the generally fast-paced and high-stakes nature of the novel, but I never quite connected with Kira the way I wished. She is a fearless protagonist, though, and discovering truths along side her is invigorating. The novel answered just enough questions by its close to leave me satisfied, but left ample threads dangling for the sequel. Fans of science fiction thrillers should definitely try this one.

Originally reviewed here