erinbowman

On Writing
Stephen King
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
Paranormalcy - Kiersten White This book surprised me. I’m not a huge paranormal reader, and I enjoyed this book so much more than I thought I would. First of all, it’s funny. FUNNY! The world itself is serious, with high stakes, but Evie tells her tale with such a refreshing blend of humor and wit, that I chuckled through half the book.

And Evie. Can we talk about how bleeping awesome Evie is? I absolutely loved that she is more of a girly-girl but still kicks butt. I’ve read so many tough-girl heroines lately (Katniss, Tris, etc), and while I love those ladies just as much, I thoroughly enjoyed how Evie stood apart from them. She loves fashion, digs pink, swoons over guys, and still has a level head on her shoulder. She is girly and she embraces that and rocks it the entire way through the book. On top of it all, those tough girls I mentioned above? Evie still channels half of their personalities, too! She is brave. She is confident. She challenges the status quo and asks questions. She is who she is and she never apologizes for that. Go, Evie! You rock.

There’s also an adorable romance that is full of flirty glances and first touches. And a brooding faerie who was glorious shades of gray. I loved him so much I can barely wait to get my hands on the sequel. And let’s not forget Evie’s taser, pink no less. With rhinestones. Yes, rhinestones. You know you want one.

Originally reviewed here